Monday, August 24, 2009

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver by Lois Lowry
Publication Date/Version: September 1994/Paperback
Publisher: Laurel Leaf
Pages: 180
Age Group: Young Adult

Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community.

When Jonas turns twelve he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now it's time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.

I've always been told that this book is great and that I really needed to read it. I never did because I always thought it might be kind of boring. But I was wrong.

I really enjoyed The Giver. It was a heavy subject matter, but I was okay with that. It was nice to read a more serious book for a change. I'm glad that Lois Lowry believed the young adult audience could handle a book like this, especially back in 1994 when YA wasn't as popular. The concept was strange and new, but that's what made it so interesting. I haven't read anything similar to it. After reading The Giver, it seems to me that many modern day young adult novels have taken inspiration from this book and its inventive ideas.

The length of The Giver was perfect. I sometimes find that short books are often, well, too short. This, however, was great. It explained everything and I wasn't left with any major questions. Luckily, I was also happy with the ending. I think I've finished my terrible-ending-marathon. :) Based on the end, I look forward to reading the companion novels, which I'm sure will have interesting takes on different communities.

The characters had a lot of depth and were well written. I enjoyed both The Giver and Jonas a lot. It was easy to like The Giver and easy to sympathize for Jonas.

Overall: The Giver has a great concept propelling it forward and it's one of those books that really makes you think.

My Advice: Pick up a copy at your local bookstore, because this is a classic that you'll want on your bookshelf when you need a serious, insightful read.

Thanks for stopping by everyone. I'm going to be picking up the post content this week as I've said before, now that I have more time. In the near future you can expect reviews for The Black Sheep, Fever 1793, Switch, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you liked it. I loved it. You're so right. This is a good one to keep on your shelf.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails