Thursday, August 13, 2009

Immortal by Gillian Shields

Immortal by Gillian Shields
Release Date/Version: May 2009/Hardcover
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 360
Age Group: 12 and up

As the elite Wyldcliffe Abbey School for Young Ladies' newest student, Evie Johnson is lonelier than she could have dreamed. Evie's only lifeline is Sebastian, a dangerously attractive young man she meets by chance. But as Evie's feelings for Sebastian grow, she suspects he has a secret. And there's something sinister about Wyldcliffe and its strict, unfriendly teachers. Then there's a ghostly girl so eerily like Evie she could be a sister. In an extraordinary battle between past and present, Evie is faced with an astounding truth about Sebastian and her own incredible fate.

Immortal will dazzle readers with suspense, mysticism, and the power of friendship and first love.

And dazzle it did. I absolutely fell in love with this book. Like it says, it offers suspense, mysticism, romance, and a whole lot of mystery.

First, the downfalls. Evie and Sebastian had a very Bella and Edward-esque romance. She's hopelessly in love, but he feels he needs to leave to protect her. You get the idea. I'm not a huge fan of these types of romances because I don't like seeing the girl turn into a spineless, self-pitying person. Evie, however, becomes a stronger character throughout the book, and learns to rely less on Sebastian, which I was happy about.

Another thing is that the twists and turns were pretty darn predictable. There were only a couple I didn't guess, but they weren't majorly important. That being said, the twists were very exciting, just easy to see coming because of all of the hints beforehand.

A few people have said they didn't enjoy this book because it went in so many directions, but that was actually the reason I enjoyed it. There was always something going on, whether it was romance or history or mysticism. The book grabbed my attention from the very beginning and held it all the way through.

I also enjoyed many of the characters. Evie was a pretty good character, but I especially enjoyed Sarah and Helen, and I look forward to hearing more about them in later books. I disliked the bad characters so much that it's easy to see that Ms. Shields is great at creating a character's persona.

The first book in this paranormal-romance series has created a great start. The story is set up perfectly for the next, but there was still a complete storyline in Immortal. There were very few unanswered questions at the end of the book. This is the first ending I've been happy with in a very long time. I look forward to reading more by Gillian Shields.

Overall: Immortal was a great book filled with many elements and quirky characters to keep the reader enticed.

My Advice: I would recommend buying this one for yourself. Be warned, there have been many mixed reviews, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus, you'll want your own copy so you can stare at the beautiful cover all day long.

8 comments:

  1. Hey : ) I'm your newest follower. Thanks for the review -- I can't wait to get my hands on this and I wish I knew where to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarbear! Thanks for following. :)

    Have you tried your local bookstore yet? It's a fairly popular book, so it should be in most major stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, for some reason I was thinking it was an ARC... no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, what I read was an ARC, but it was released in May, so it was a pretty old ARC. You shouldn't have any trouble finding it at your local bookstore. It's been out for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a few pages of this one and am really looking forward to reading it in it's entirety. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem. :) You should definitely pick up a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read the book if it really covers romance, history and mystery it will be my most favorite book yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails