Monday, August 10, 2009

In My Mailbox (1)

My first ever In My Mailbox. Pretty cool. IMM was started by Kristi at The Story Siren and inspired by Alea at Pop Culture Junkie. Thanks!


Lost Summer by Alex Mcauly (PB/August 2006/Pocket Books & MTV Books)

When Caitlin Ross's mother takes her and her brother to an island in the remote Outer Banks for the summer, Caitlin is furious. She was planning on spending the summer hanging out by the pool, partying, shopping, and singing backup in her boyfriend's band, Box of Flowers. North Carolina isn't anything like California, and Caitlin doesn't fit in. But her troubled mother is too busy popping pills and trying to win back her creepy ex-boyfriend to care.

At first, the only friend Caitlin makes on the desolate island is a local misfit named Danielle. But things start to improve when she meets a bunch of visiting prep school boys and gets swept up in their exciting world. Then, one dark night, she witnesses a murder and begins to suspect that her new friends aren't really her friends at all. With a powerful hurricane approaching, and the island cut off from the outside world, Caitlin has no one to turn to but herself...and whether she'll live to see another summer is the biggest mystery of all.

I got this from Paperback Swap. It sounds really intriguing and I'm excited to read it. Plus, the book is just pretty.


Crank by Ellen Hopkins (PB/October 2004/ Simon Pulse)


Kristina Georgia Snow is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. But on a trip to visit her absentee father, she meets a boy who introduces her to crank. At first she finds it freeing, but soon Kristina’s personality disappears inside the drug. What began as a wild, ecstatic ride turns into a struggle through hell for her mind, her soul, and her life.


I also got this from Paperback Swap. I love that site! :) I haven't read anything by Ellen Hopkins yet, so I figured this was a good place to start. It sounds like a good book, and it always gets good reviews, so I thought I needed to see what all the buzz was about.


Various Nancy Drew books by Carolyn Keene (HB/Various publication dates/Grosset & Dunlap)

I went to a garage sale this weekend and there were a ton of the old yellow hardback Nancy Drew books for sale. I love Nancy Drew so I couldn't resist. I bought the ones I didn't already have, and I made quite a bit of progress in my collection.

I got:

  • The Secret of the Old Clock (#1)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (#8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (#9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (#10)
  • The Clue of the Broken Locket (#11)
  • The Haunted Bridge (#15)
  • Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (#17)
  • The Ghost of Blackwood Hall (#25)
  • Mystery of Crocodile Island (#55)
  • The Thirteenth Pearl (#56)

Quite a few! And for only $5. Garage sales are a great place to get books.

So, a pretty good week. I'm very happy with all of it. Off to do more reading!

7 comments:

  1. I have The Secret of the Old Clock waiting to be read too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm especially excited to read that one since it's the first in the series. It'll be cute to see how Nancy meets Ned. :)

    -McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read the Gilda Joyce series by Jennifer Allison? I love it and it has such a Nancy Drew sesibility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I've never heard of those books. I'll have to check them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of Lost Summer. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books, Crank was great. Enjoy all your books(:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks So Many Books, So Little Time. I agree that Lost Summer sounds especially exciting. :)

    Glad to hear you like it Kelsey. I've heard good things about both of the books, so I'm looking forward to reading them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails