Sunday, August 16, 2009

In My Mailbox (2)

IMM is a weekly meme that explores the contents of one's mailbox. IMM was started by Kristi at The Story Siren.


Fade by Lisa McMann
(HB/February 2009/Simon Pulse)

Some nightmares never end.

For Janie and Cabel, real life is getting tougher than the dreams. They're just trying to carve out a little (secret) time together, but no such luck.

Disturbing things are happening at Fieldridge High, yet nobody's talking. When Janie taps into a classmate's violent nightmares, the case finally breaks open - but nothing goes as planned. Not even close. Janie's in way over her head, and Cabe's shocking behavior has grave consequences for them both.

Worse yet, Janie learns the truth about herself and her ability - and it's bleak. Seriously, brutally bleak. Not only is her fate as a dream catcher sealed, but what's to come is way darker than she'd feared.

I won this from PulseIt, the Simon and Schuster book review board. I was so excited. Plus, the great thing is, it's signed! Now I just have to read Wake...hehe. Haven't done that yet. :)


3 Willows by Ann Brashares
(HB/January 2009/Delacorte Press)

seeds

Polly has an idea she can't stop thinking about, one that involves changing a few things about herself. She's setting her sights on a more glamorous life, but it's going to take all of her focus. At least that way she won't have to watch her friends moving so far ahead.

roots

Jo is spending the summer at her family's beach house, working as a bus girl and bonding with the older, cooler girls she'll see at high school come September. She didn't count on a brief fling with a cute summer boy changing her entire summer. Or on feeling embarrassed by her middle school friends. And she didn't count on her family at all...

leaves

Ama is not an outdoorsy girl. She wanted to be at an academic camp, doing research in an air-conditioned library, earning As. Instead, her summer scholarship lands her on a wilderness trip full of flirting teenagers, blisters, impossible hiking trails, and a sad lack of hair products.


It is a new summer.
And a new sisterhood.
Come grow with them.

This sounds cute. I'm looking forward to reading it. I got it from the Random Buzzers program where you can participate in activities to earn points, and then you can spend those points on books. It's an easy way to get free books. I was so surprised when I opened this up and found out that it's signed! I had no idea it would be.


A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
(PB/December 2003/Delacorte Press)


Gemma Doyle isn't like other girls. Girls with impeccable manners, who speak when spoken to, who remember their station, and who will lie back and think of England when it's required of them.

No, sixteen-year-old Gemma is an island unto herself, sent to the Spence Academy in London after tragedy strikes her family in India. Lonely, guilt-ridden, and prone to visions of the future that have an uncomfortable habit of coming true, Gemma finds a chilly reception. But she's not completely alone...she's been followed by a mysterious young man, who warns her to close her mind against the visions.

For it's at Spence that Gemma's power to attract the supernatural unfolds; there she becomes entangled with the school's most powerful girls and discovers her mother's connection to a shadowy group called the Order. It's there that her destiny waits...if only she can believe it.

A Great and Terrible Beauty is a curl-up-under-the-covers kind of book...a vast canvas of rustling skirts and dancing shadows and things that go bump in the night. It's a vividly drawn portrait of the Victorian age, when girls were groomed for lives as rich men's wives...and the story of a girl who saw another way.


I've been wanting to read this for a really long time but I never got around to it. Then a friend of mine said I had to read it, so I ordered it from Paperback Swap. I'm really super excited to start on it. I love books about the Victorian age.


Violet on the Runway by Melissa Walker
(PB/September 2007/Berkley Jam)

On the day my life changed,
the lady in the giant Chanel shades
stared me up and down.

"Gorgeous, I've got fall castings coming up and I think you could be IT. And I mean IT. Are you busy next weekend? I can have you on a flight to New York Friday night. If it's up to me, I'd say you're the next Kate Moss - but, you know, taller and without the PR problems...I hope!" Then she threw her perfectly highlighted hair back and laughed, which gave me a good look at her straight, white veneers.

So that's how I happen to have this business card in the front pocket of my jeans as I start my senior year of high school. The card of Angela Blythe from Tryst Models in New York City, who wants to put me on a plane this weekend and whisk me into her world of high-heeled boots and oversized sunglasses. Me, Violet Greenfield, who's been P-L-A-I-N practically forever.

And you wanna know a secret? I'm going...

I've always wanted to read this series for such a long time, and now I'm finally getting started. I've actually already read it and I enjoyed it. I also picked this one up from Paperback Swap. I love that site. :)

So, I got some nice new books this week. I'm very happy. Sorry about the lack of posts lately. I had a busy weekend. I saw Harry Potter, though! I cried when Dumbledore died and everyone lifted their wands to the sky. So sad and touching. This week I'll probably be low on posts because I have a conditioning camp to go to. Sorry guys. But I'll try my best to get plenty of reviews and all that when I have time.

Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. Ooh you are so lucky that you got a signed copy of Fade. I loved both Wake and Fade. Also, Great and Terrible Beauty and Violet On The Runway are great. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AGATB is pretty good and I love the sound of Violet on the Runway. Hope you like Fade, I didn't like Wake too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to AGATB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FADE is so creepy - in a very good way! You'll have to let me know what you think. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Becca. Based on the description, it does sound incredibly creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read Fade, Three Willows and A great and terrible Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Fade!!! (part of the Wake series) But i ABSOULTELY HATED THE VIOLET SERIES!! It was horrible and really steriotypical to models! >:(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails