Sunday, August 23, 2009

In My Mailbox (3)

IMM is a weekly meme that explores the contents of one's mailbox. IMM was started by Kristi at The Story Siren.


The Black Sheep by Yvonne Collins and Sandy Rideout
(PB/June 2008/Hyperion)

Fed up with her parents and all their ridiculous rules (they keep a binder full of them), fifteen-year-old Kendra Bishop writes away to The Black Sheep, a reality TV show that offers the chance to swap families with another teen. But when the camera crew shows up at her Manhattan apartment, Kendra starts to have second thoughts.

Too late. Kendra is whisked away to Monterey, California, to live with the Mulligan family in a household that couldn't be more different from her own. Of course, when Kendra falls for Mitch, the Mulligans' seventeen-year-old son, it only complicates things further, especially since Mitch despises the reality TV show and everything it stands for. But given the chance, Kendra might just be able to juggle first love, her new stardom, and a pushy TV producer who will stop at nothing for higher ratings.

I got this from Paperback Swap. I've been wanting to read it for a while now. I've already started reading it, and I'm almost done. I really like it so far.


Forest Born by Shannon Hale
(HB/September 2009/Bloomsbury)

Growing up in the Forest, Rin always turned to the trees when she needed peace or reassurance, even direction, until the day they seemed to reject her. Rin is sure something is wrong with her, something that is keeping her from feeling at home in the Forest, keeping her from trusting herself with anyone at all.

When her brother Razo returns to the city after a visit home, Rin accompanies him to the palace in hopes of finding a new sense of herself. But a mysterious threat haunts Bayern, and Rin joins the magical girls she thinks of as the Fire Sisters - Isi, Enna, and Dasha - as they venture into the woods toward the kingdom of Kel...where someone wants them all dead.

In this fourth tale in the Books of Bayern series, Newberry Honor-winning author Shannon Hale once again proves herself an irresistible storyteller, bringing readers back to a world rich with friendships, unexpected plot twists, and a little dose of magic.

This book sounds really good and the cover is very pretty. I received this from BookDivas for review. When I'm done reading it, I'm supposed to participate in a discussion with the author. Exciting! I'm a little worried though, because I haven't read the first three in the series. Has anyone else read it? Please tell me if you have, and if I need to read the three other books in order to understand the fourth book.

Just a couple of books this week, but I'm very happy with them. A review for The Black Sheep will be coming soon. And once again, I'm sorry for the lack of posts. Luckily, I'll have plenty of free time this week, so I'll have a chance to catch up. See you around :)

6 comments:

  1. I need to check out Shannon Hale. I've read such great things about her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I just got The Black Sheep last week. And sorry to say that I haven't read the Books of Bayern either so I wouldn't know. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you'd need to read the other 3 - as far as I know, they're different stories within the same series (but I could be wrong).

    I love the Forest Born cover, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome sounding books you got this week. hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, thanks prophecygirl. I wasn't sure.

    Thanks Rebecca :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh black sheep looks way good!! happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails