Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (Maybe) by Kimberly Pauley

Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (Maybe) by Kimberly Pauley
Publication Date/Version: August 2009/Paperback
Publisher: Mirrorstone
Pages: 293
Age Group: Young Adult

Why It Sucks to Be Me

1. My parents are freaks. Sure, every teenager says that. But I know for a fact that mine are bloodsucking vampire freaks.

2. As if high school wasn't bad enough, now I have to go to vampire classes with a bunch of weirdos who actually want to drink blood.

3. Then there's my complete inability to talk in complete sentences around cute boys. (Especially Nathan. He probably thinks I've got a speech impediment or something.)

4. And I can't tell my best friend Serena about any of this.

5. But the absolute worst thing is that the whole world is about to find out what happened when my parents forced me to decide whether I want to be a vampire! Please don't read this book. It's just embarrassing.

I got this book for review from ReaderView Kids. I was really excited to read a humorous take on the classic vampire tale, and based on the description, I figured I'd get just that.

Debut author Kimberly Pauley has created a great piece of work and I know the rest of the teenage readers will agree! She created a great storyline full of fun, exciting characters. I don't even know where to start with the characters. Maya always had something to say with her quick-witted humor, and her best friend Serena cracked me up. Serena's been going through a Goth phase, but now she's converted back to her regular girly girl. And between George, Nathan, and Aubrey, Maya had quite the time trying to sort through the pieces of her love life.

One of the best parts about this book was the humor. Maya had me laughing, and I loved that Ms. Pauley poked fun at some popular vampire knowledge. At one point, when Maya's Uncle Mortie took her and some friends to see a well-known somebody (I won't give anything away), I was cracking up. Seeing the reactions was just hilarious.

Kimberly Pauley has really succeeded in creating a novel that teenagers will be able to relate to. Although we can't relate to the whole becoming-a-vampire-thing, it was still easy to connect with Maya and sympathize throughout her journey. I was so happy to see that Maya made the right choice in her love life. Now if only we could figure out what happened to Raven...

I'm so excited to have another author's books to look forward to. The only problem is that we have to wait until September 2010 for the sequel, Still Sucks to Be Me.

Overall: Debut author Kimberly Pauley has devised a great book filled with humor, love, and plenty of quirky characters.

My Advice: Definitely go buy a copy of this from your local bookstore. It's a keeper on my shelf for sure.

Cover: I like the cover well enough. The girl looks similar to Maya, and I'm happy that the notebook is portrayed because Maya makes a few journal entries throughout the story.

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good! Also, I nominated you for an award at my blog here: http://anaddictedbookreader.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-first-award.html!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails