Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Switch by Carol Snow

Switch by Carol Snow
Publication Date/Version: September 2008/Hardcover
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 224
Age Group: 12 and up

Claire Martin has some major body issues.

Not much happens in Claire Martin's sleepy little beach town, but that's okay. Let her hang out with her best friend, dream about her favorite lifeguard, and swim on the high school team, and she'll be happy.

Only one small problem: Whenever Claire gets too close to lightning, her spirit shoots into the body of the nearest girl born under the same moon. Usually she's back to her old self in no time - but suddenly she's stuck as someone else: a breathtaking summer visitor who has caught her crush's eye. Will Claire ever figure out how to get back to her old life? And, more importantly, will she want to?

Ok, I've got to admit, I've had this on my shelf for about a year. I was just never that interested, but now I finally read it. What got me reading was the concept. Claire's stuck in another girl's body, but the catch is, she has the attention of her crush now. She can't figure out how to get back, but does it really matter when she might want to stay this way?

I found this book to be so-so. It was fine; it just wasn't an amazing have-to-read-it kind of book. The concept of body switching was cool and easy to understand. When we first met Larissa, the girl Claire switches with, I was super annoyed with her and already rolling my eyes. When Claire switched, however, I began to feel sorry for Larissa and her situation. She has a pretty terrible family life, and now she's in a random girl's body.

At first, it was fun to see what Claire did in Larissa's body, but after awhile Claire just seemed selfish because she didn't want to switch back. I mean, Larissa's body isn't there for her to take advantage of. Overall, I wasn't very impressed with the characters. They were just too bratty and selfish, and I didn't connect with them at all.

One of the few things I was happy with was the ending. It was very touching, and it was nice to see Larissa happy, as well as Claire performing a very unselfish act of kindness.

Overall: It was a so-so book. The concept was interesting, but the entire thing was just blah.

My Advice: I would recommend skipping this book because it didn't have that special something that made the story interesting. I've heard quite a few people say they liked it though, so if you do want to check it out, I'd suggest getting it from the library.

Cover: I really like the cover. I think it portrays the book very well, seeing as how the girls look pretty much like Claire and Larissa are described. The lightning on the shirt and the faded-out blond are nice touches that make sense in relation to the book.

4 comments:

  1. I love the premise, but the execution sounds kinda boring. Too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Juju. :)

    Exactly Lenore. I was hoping it would be good. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting book, the premise sort of reminds me of the new YA series by Meg Cabot, although I love Cabot, and this book sounds so-so. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails