Thursday, August 20, 2009

Violet on the Runway by Melissa Walker

Violet on the Runway by Melissa Walker
Publication Date/Version: September 2007/Paperback
Publisher: Berkley Jam
Pages: 220
Age Group: Young Adult

On the day my life changed, the lady in the giant Chanel shades stared me up and down...

"Gorgeous, I've got fall castings coming up and I think you could be IT. And I mean IT. Are you busy next weekend? I can have you on a flight to New York Friday night. If it's up to me, I'd say you're the next Kate Moss - but, you know, taller and without the PR problems...I hope!" Then she threw her perfectly highlighted hair back and laughed, which gave me a good look at her straight, white veneers.

So that's how I happen to have this business card in the front pocket of my jeans as I start my senior year of high school. The card of Angela Blythe from Tryst Models in New York City, who wants to put me on a plane this weekend and whisk me into her world of high-heeled boots and oversized sunglasses. Me, Violet Greenfield, who's been P-L-A-I-N practically forever.

And you wanna know a secret? I'm going...

I've always heard that this is a great series and I've always wanted to read it, but I've just never picked it up. So finally, I did. And I'm very happy I did.

Violet on the Runway is the first in a three-part series. I enjoyed the storyline, although it was pretty predictable. I figured it would be. This is much more a guilty-pleasure-read then a thought-provoking-read. I mean, who wouldn't want to read about an average girl becoming the IT model?

On Violet as a character, I'm undecided. She's so self conscious that I couldn't stand it sometimes. But then, when she goes to NYC, she starts drinking and staying out late, which annoyed me. I was unhappy to see her fall into the typical model life while she was there. I was hoping she could be strong enough to resist all of that. But in the end, it does get better. She was a good person, and I think that her personality becomes more clear at the end of the book.

I was happy with the end, which seems to be rare these days. It left me wanting more because of the obvious cliffhanger.

One of my problems with this book was that I didn't really connect with any of the characters. I didn't relate to Violet or Julie or anyone. It would have been more enjoyable to me if I could have found myself in one of the characters. Oh, another small problem I had was that Violet never realised who the right guy was for her, even though I saw it from, literally, the first chapter. I think she'll figure it out in later books, however.

Overall: Violet on the Runway was a cute and exciting story that almost all teenage girls will be able to enjoy.

My Advice: Pick up a copy at your local bookstore for a good rainy Saturday read.

4 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails