Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Publication Date/Version: October 2009/Hardcover
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 391
Age Group: 14 and up

Nora Grey is responsible and smart and not inclined to be reckless. Her first mistake was falling for Patch. Patch has a past that could be called anything but harmless. The best thing he ever did was fall for Nora.

After getting paired with Patch in biology, all Nora wants to do is stay away from him, but he always seems to be two steps ahead of her. She can feel his eyes on her even when he is nowhere around. She feels him nearby even when she is alone in her bedroom. And when her attraction can be denied no longer, she learns the secret about who Patch is and what led him to her. Despite all the questions she has about his past, in the end, there may be only one question they can ask each other: How far are you willing to fall?

I received this book from the First Look program at Barnes and Noble. I've been lusting over Hush, Hush ever since I first saw the cover about a month ago. It's been a terrible time waiting to read it, but now that I have, let me tell you, the wait is completely worth it.

First off, the storyline. Many people have said this is too similar to Twilight. But c'mon people, this is about fallen angels, not vampires. Stop complaining and realize that the majority of paranormal YA fiction out there is incredibly similar. The plot of Hush, Hush was gorgeous. It seemed to be very well thought out and the pacing was perfect. Ms. Fitzpatrick kept feeding you tidbits of information at just the right time in order to keep the plot moving, but still suspenseful. The idea itself is little known to me; I haven't read any other books about fallen angels, so I was instantly intrigued. I found everything to be exactly as I would have wanted it. A dark, mysterious plot with plenty of wonderful characters.

Let me just say, the characters were divine. I'm so happy to have a strong female character instead of a spineless girl who can't do anything for herself *cough*Bella*cough*. Nora, although she falls for Patch, still has a sense of who she is and doesn't give up her entire life for him. Now let's talk about Patch. There's so much to say. At first I couldn't stand him and his arrogance, but I warmed up to him quickly. His attitude and charm grew on me. Plus, his innuendos in Biology had me smirking the entire time. I know, he's a bad boy, but how could you not be attracted to him? I mean seriously, I even got little flutters in my stomach at some of the things he said, and he's a fictional character. That says a lot about Becca Fitzpatrick's characterisation skills. Oh, and the chemistry between Nora and Patch is hotter than the sun. I could put an ice cube on Hush, Hush and it would melt.

Finally, the ending. This is the first in an incredibly long time...The ending was absolutely perfect! I literally swooned at the final line. I don't know how much will change from the ARC to the hardcover, but I hope not too much! I felt satisfied with what I had learned by the end of the book, but I was left with just enough of a cliffhanger that I can't wait to devour more of Becca's work. Her debut novel is by far my favorite book of 2009. Well done Becca on a perfectly devised novel that exudes darkness and sexual tension.

Overall: Ok, if you've read any of the above review you should know what I'm going to say. I found this book to be absolutely perfect. It had a great mix of characterisation, chemistry, and plenty of darkness. I cannot wait for what Ms. Fitzpatrick has in store for us next.

My Advice: Buy a copy of this the day it comes out! You will not regret it. And then write a raving review, as well as join your local Becca Fitzpatrick fan club. :D

Cover: This was what initially drew me to the book. It's wonderful for the story. The man on the cover represents Patch well and the falling feathers are great. Every aspect of the cover reflects the novel perfectly.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, McKenzie! Thanks for the seriously fantastic review!! Now I wish I had Crescendo ready to send to you... :)

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review :) her best friend was my favorite character. She had such sass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book! I love Patch and the ending, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juju, Vee cracked me up as well. She was very spunky.

    Glad you enjoyed it Becca. haha I wish you did too! I'm so excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really really want to read this and your review just makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails