Sunday, September 13, 2009

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink
Publication Date/Version: August 2009/Hardcover
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Pages: 343
Age Group: 12 and up

Sixteen-year-old Lia Milthorpe has just recently lost her father, leaving her parentless. But when a strange mark appears on her wrist, she realizes she is being branded with much more than her newfound title of orphan. Lia and her twin sister, Alice, are part of an ancient prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other.

Lia hides this discovery from Alice and even her beloved, James, but to escape from the burden this secret bestows she must end the prophecy - before her sister. Only then will she understand the mysterious circumstances of her parents' deaths, the true meaning of the mark on her wrist, the lengths to which her sister will go to defeat her, and the downfall the prophecy could bring.

With haunting, lyrical prose, this multilayered debut novel by Michelle Zink takes readers on an unforgettable journey where one sister's decision could have an impact of Biblical proportions.

I received this book for review from ReaderViews. I was excited to see that I received the original cover. I think it's very interesting and corresponds well with the story.

The prose in this book is wonderful. I love books that have an almost poetic quality to them, and Prophecy of the Sisters had just that. The language suited the time period, and the setting was gorgeous. I could easily imagine the scenes and the people in vivid detail. Many times, I wished I could take Lia's place, just to experience the richness of the world she lived in.

The characters really drew me into the story. I liked Lia, and knew from the beginning that there was something wrong with Alice. I especially came to like Sonia and Luisa, and I look forward to seeing them in future books and learning more about their stories. The plot was enthralling as well. It featured mystery, darkness, and magic - the perfect plot. I loved the quest for answers, but I felt that it was a little drawn out. As soon as one question was answered, three more popped up. Looking back, not too many events actually happened. The first book was mainly a search for knowledge, but that knowledge wasn't really acted upon quite yet. That would have to be my only complaint - the lack of action.

The whole premise of the story was very interesting. I've never read anything similar to this, so I was happy to flip page after page to learn more about this odd and complex prophecy. You couldn't help but root for Lia and her efforts to to end the prophecy before her sister.

Overall: The prose and setting of this book were gorgeous, and allowed the reader to feel as though she were in the story. The plot may have been slow, but its complexities made up for that fact.

My Advice: I recommend picking up a copy of this at your local library. For me personally, it's a keeper, but I can see why others may not enjoy it.

Cover: I really enjoy the cover that I received. The lettering is so pretty, and the snake brooch makes sense in relation to the story. I also like how a snake's tongue is added to the shadow of the brooch.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! It seems everyone has something good to say about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this now--about 80 pages in and really loving it! Glad you enjoyed it too! Can't wait to find out what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard such great things about this book. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails