Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday Firsts (2)


The first line can make or break a reader’s interest. Just how well did the author pull you in to the story with their first sentence? To participate in this weekly book meme is extremely easy.

Grab the book you are currently reading and open to the first page.
Write down the first sentence in the first paragraph.
Create a blog post with this information.
Did this first sentence help draw you into the story? Why or why not?

I am currently reading Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Here's the first sentence:

There were only two kinds of people in our town.

Definitely not the most interesting sentence. It gives me the sense that the town is small, and I'm vaguely curious about what two kinds of people there are. It's an okay start. I really enjoyed the next sentence, however.

"The stupid and the stuck," my father had affectionately classified our neighbors.

Now that's cute and gets me excited to read more. I smiled when I read that line. I now know that everyone in town is either stupid or stuck - hopefully, because of something mysterious! This sentence shows the humor one can expect from the rest of the book, while still portraying a sense of mystery. Off to a good start!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails