Monday, November 30, 2009

My Beauty: A Guide to Looking & Feeling Great by Marlene Wallach

My Beauty: A Guide to Looking & Feeling Great by Marlene Wallach
Publication Date/Version: August 2009/Spiral Boung
Publisher: Aladdin
Age Group: Young Adult
Received From: ReaderViews

Want flawless skin and a perfect smile? Although no one's perfect, Wilhelmina Kids and Teens modeling agency president Marlene Wallach will let you in on all the secrets you need to look your very best. From getting a really great haircut to finding the ultimate lip gloss, Marlene's tips make polishing your natural beauty simple and easy so that all the best things about you shine through. Packed with fun quizzes; spa treatments; interviews with beauty industry insiders such as celebrity dermatologist Dr. Howard Murad and makeup artist Paula Dorf; and more, My Beauty will help you discover your unique dazzle, whether on the runway, in the classroom, or on the soccer field.

My Beauty offers a lot of cosmetic tips and tricks, but it doesn't do much more. If you've ever looked through a beauty handbook before, you won't find anything new. And if you're anything like me, you've been through a guide or two... or five. This doesn't have much to offer for teenagers, but it will be fun for tweens (think 10-12.)

While not enough substance for older teens, tween girls will have plenty of fun with this. It will definitely keep them occupied through sleepovers and get-togethers. My Beauty has plenty of things: hair styles, makeup styles, skin tips, and more on how to look your best. I always find these types of books to be a little shallow, but hey, much of the things that interest today's population are. The one thing I found to be fun in this guide were the do-it-at-home spa recipes. There were face masks and hair treatments, as well as some other stuff. I am excited to try those out.

My Beauty doesn't do much in the way of depth, but it is a simple, girly guide to looking good. It would make a good Christmas gift for tween girls.

Overall: My Beauty is a totally girly guide to having fun with your looks, but it won't offer enough for an everyday teenage girl.

My Advice: Borrow this from the library if you're looking for a guide like this. Otherwise, save your money and buy a wonderful novel. (Okay, I'm a bit biased here.)

Cover: So girly. It will definitely draw in the target audience. I'm fine with it. The colors could've matched a little better, however. It's weird though. When I look at the girl in the center and the girl on the right very quickly, their combined image looks a little like me. Not in a conceited way, (eyeroll) but in a I-have-the-same-face/eye/whatever-shape... if you know what I'm saying. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails