Monday, December 28, 2009

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks
Publication Date/Version: August 2007/Paperback
Publisher: Warner Books
Age Group: Adult
Borrowed From: A Friend

When Savannah Lynn Curtis comes into his life, John Tyree knows he is ready to turn over a new leaf. An angry rebel, he had enlisted in the army after high school, not knowing what else to do. Then, during a furlough, he meets Savannah, the girl of his dreams. The attraction is mutual and quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah vowing to wait for John while he finishes his tour of duty. But neither can foresee that 9/11 is about to change the world. Like so many proud men and women, John must choose between love and country. Now, when he finally returns to North Carolina, John will discover that loving Savannah will force him to make the hardest decision of his life.

My very first Nicholas Sparks novel! I'm so glad I finally picked up one of his books.

John Tyree's an angry soldier. He always caused trouble back when he was at home, with only his father to help him along. When he comes back on leave he meets Savannah and changes for the better. He knows that she is the one for him, and he will do whatever it takes to be with her. The army and his duties, however, get in the way of their love, and when he comes back, things aren't the same.

Wow. That's about all I can say. How does Mr. Sparks do what he does? Create a beautiful, touching novel that anyone can relate to, even if you've never been in a similar situation. John at first seemed stubborn and rude, but he developed into a much more mature and likable character over the course of the story. The first couple of weeks he spends with Savannah was wonderful to read about. They had instant chemistry that flew off the pages. I liked Savannah, as she seemed well-rounded and down-to-earth. Over time, though, things changed.

When John came back for his second leave, things between him and Savannah were different. It was amazing how Sparks could capture all that was wrong with just a sentence or two. You could feel the tension radiating from the page. I was basically wincing as I read it. You know Nicholas Sparks has to be a great author if he can bring forth those kinds of emotions with a simple sentence. And when John comes back for the final time, wow. It's all I can say once again. After dealing with his poor father, who I ended up loving and crying over, John must now face Savannah and the future she's created for herself while John was gone. John truly becomes a good person for what he does, and I love him for every bit of it. I, however, became unhappy with Savannah. She wanted what she couldn't have. She couldn't be happy with her blessings, but instead was greedy and only wanted more. I lost my respect for her.

Another great character was Tim. He was a true gentleman, and it was easy to see how much he cared for Savannah. I loved him throughout the entire book, and I still do. He seemed like such a genuine person.

After reading Dear John, Nicholas Sparks has enthralled me in his writing and I cannot wait to read another one of his novels. Completely beautiful.

Overall: Emotionally raw. Honest. Heartbreaking. Wonderful. A must read.

My Advice: Go buy a copy. I know I'm starting a Nicholas Sparks collection.

Cover: The letter and the horses are perfect. After reading the book, it all becomes clear. Perfectly simple and elegant. I always think that when I see his covers.

6 comments:

  1. Aw, wow. I've yet to read one of his novels...I think this should be the first one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely been a while since I've read Nicholas Sparks. I think I stopped after At First Sight and True Believer were let-downs for me. But perhaps I'll give this and The Last Song a try now! I'll probably borrow it from the library though. Have you read any of his other books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by this author but this sounds fab. I really want to read it now and it isn't my usual type of book at all. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo wow. What a wonderful review you've written. You've totally sold me. Thank you.

    PS I love your new header.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph - I haven't read any of his other books, but my friends really like The Last Song. That's probably a good one to check out next.

    Juju - Thanks! Oh, and I'm in love with my new header too. Kaylyn (Darling Reviews) did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book was great
    and I never wanted to put this book down,these kinds of book gets in your head. Tis is my favorite book,can't wait until the movie comes out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails