Saturday, January 9, 2010

In My Mailbox (21)

IMM is a weekly meme that explores the contents of one's mailbox. IMM was started by Kristi at The Story Siren. Descriptions are from Amazon and book covers.

From Paperback Swap:

The Tear Collector by Patrick Jones
(HC/September 2009/Walker & Company)

Between hookups, makeups, and breakups, there isn't a day at Lapeer High School without drama turning to trauma turning to tears.

And tears are just as essential as air for Cassandra Gray. She and her family are vampires who thirst for human sorrow, and the energy that they soak in from a good crying jag can keep them fueled up for days.

Anytime a friend needs a should to cry on, Cass is there. Anytime a boyfriend gets too secure, she breaks his heart. Cass's work as a school peer counselor and hospital volunteer also provides the perfect cover and access to her family's energy source. But she is getting tired of all the lies and manipulation - especially now that she's actually fallen in love with a human. Can she bear to betray her family for a chance at happiness and a life lived with joy?

Doesn't this sound so dark and heavy? Such an interesting concept. I haven't read any reviews, so hopefully it's good.


Shine, Coconut Moon by Neesha Neminger
(HC/March 2009/Margaret K. McElderry Books)

Seventeen-year-old Samar -- a.k.a. Sam -- has never known much about her Indian heritage. Her mom has deliberately kept Sam away from her old-fashioned family. It's never bothered Sam, who is busy with school, friends, and a really cute but demanding boyfriend.

But things change after 9/11. A guy in a turban shows up at Sam's house, and he turns out to be her uncle. He wants to reconcile the family and teach Sam about her Sikh heritage. Sam isn't sure what to do, until a girl at school calls her a coconut -- brown on the outside, white on the inside. That decides it: Why shouldn't Sam get to know her family? What is her mom so afraid of? Then some boys attack her uncle, shouting, "Go back home, Osama!" and Sam realizes she could be in danger -- and also discovers how dangerous ignorance can be. Sam will need all her smarts and savvy to try to bridge two worlds and make them both her own.

I've always wanted to read this after seeing it as part of a book reviewing program. It will be really interesting to see this subject from someone else's point of view.


Elphame's Choice by P.C. Cast
(PB/September 2009/Harlequin Teen)

I was marked from birth as belonging to the Goddess Epona--but that didn't make my life easy. Because of my "blessings," I was set apart, worshipped, unable to make real connections with others. Then came the Feeling, and with it a glimpse of my destiny. It led me to the MacCallen castle of legend, deserted since the terrible Fomorian war.


I followed the wordless call to breathe new life into a place long dead, but I didn't realize there were dark remnants of the war lingering in the nearby forest--victims and survivors who remained hidden. Others marked as different, powerful. Feared.

My choice was now twofold. I could keep to the happiness and safety of my newfound home, or I could choose a path that led to something more terrible, more dangerous, more thrilling than anything I'd ever expected.

And in that future I might never be alone again. . .

Sounds exciting! Plus, it came out on my birthday.

No books for review this week, but that's perfectly okay. I have so many books to catch up on! My TBR pile of review books alone is ridiculous. Lots of reviews coming up. How did you do this week?

10 comments:

  1. Great books you got there. The tear collector is just a pretty cover! :)

    Enjoy the books you got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elphame's Choice - I am going to have to read that. I hadn't even heard that P.C. Cast was writing anything other than House Of Night. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you like The Tear Collector. I'm looking forward to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Tear Collector...I've heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shine Coconut Moon is THE BEST. Have fun reading~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books! The Tear Collector looks interesting.

    Here's what I got this week: http://bookielaura.blogspot.com/2010/01/in-my-mailbox-11010.html

    Take care! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome books! I have 2 read them all :D
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, The Tear Collector! Just looking at the cover makes me want to read it lol! I hope you enjoy your books :)

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great books you got this week. They all look really interesting, especially Elphame's Choice. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails