Monday, January 18, 2010

Personal vs. Review Reads

Today, and over the last couple of weeks actually, I've been stressing about what books to read. I have separate TBR Piles for review books and personal books. I haven't touched the personal book pile in months. My focus has been entirely on review books and I feel out of balance. I'm not sure what to do.

I have obligations to a couple of companies, such as ReaderView Kids and Teens Read Too. I try to review those books first because they depend on me to reviews the books I receive. If an author or publisher sends me a book, I don't feel as bad waiting longer to review it because they aren't dependent on me and my one review. They're getting reviews from other places.

What I'm basically trying to say is: how do you balance your personal and review reads? Is it 1 for 1, 1 personal for every 1 review? It's not that I don't enjoy review copies, because I do, but my personal pile is completely ridiculous. It's honestly quadrupled since I started blogging. There's a lot of books in there that I really want to read, but I feel bad neglecting my review books. Should I? Those who send me review copies understand that I have a life and can't focus only on reading. I'm torn. Any words of advice or book balancing tips?

6 comments:

  1. This one sounds really interesting, and I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I'm not sure how I feel about the cover, however. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzy, I assume you meant to comment on my Falling For Romeo post. hehe =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. McKenzie, I am in the same boat that you are. My review reads have overshadowed anything personal that I want to read. What I have started to do is reading in a two:one ratio. I figure for every 2 review novels, I can read one personal until I get my review reads out of the way. Then I hope to just start taking things has they come. Another idea might be to organize your piles. Maybe the review pile by date received or published and then personal by desire to read. That way you can easy move through the piles and it is organized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same problem. When I read my own books I feel like I should be reading review books. I agree though, you're not the only person they want a review from. I think it's a good idea to balance it- read some review books then some of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the input! Glad I'm not the only one who has this trouble. I think I'm going to go with a 2:1 ratio, two review books, 1 personal book. Hopefully that will help to clear out both of my piles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent question. I have a bit of that going on right now too. I do 1 review one and 1 personal one. I also try to switch the genres up so I don't tire of reading the same stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails