Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Vinyl Princess by Yvonne Prinz

The Vinyl Princess by Yvonne Prinz
Publication Date/Version: December 2009/Hardcover
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Received From: ReaderView Kids (Thanks!)

Summer is here and Allie is exactly where she wants to be: working full-time at the ultra-cool Bob & Bob Records in Berkeley. Here Allie can spend her days bantering with the street people, talking the talk with the staff, shepherding the uncool bridge-and-tunnel shoppers - all the while blissfully surrounded by music, music, music. It's the perfect setup for her to develop her secret identity as The Vinyl Princess. Her very first zine is about ready to print and her new blog, http://www.thevinylprincess.com/, is up and running. From the safety of her favorite place on earth, Allie's poised to launch a vinyl revolution - or at least reach some fellow music geeks out there.

They are out there...aren't they?

Allie, a self-professed music junkie is right where she wants to be: working at Bob & Bob Records in Berkeley. It's the perfect place to start her new music blog and zine. At the store she can chat up the customers and staff, feeding her love for music. The area where she works, however, is under danger. Criminals have been going around robbing innocent stores. Is Bob & Bob Records next?

For me, The Vinyl Princess was just blah. I'd heard such good reviews, so I expected a lot out of it. Even if I had gone in with low expectations, I still don't believe I would have liked it. I found it hard to relate to any part of the story, actually. Allie's character was fine. She obviously loved music, which is great and all, but that doesn't leave her open to a very wide range of readers. I mean, she was obsessed. I enjoy music, but I don't want to read an entire book about it. Maybe I shouldn't have picked it up in the first place. The characters I found to be interesting were all secondary. Her mom, Ravi, and the invisible roommate. Honestly, one of the characters I liked the most was mentioned maybe three times! At least she had fun characteristics and seemed mysterious.

Allie's dating life was okay, with a couple love interests here and there. There was a slight twist to one of them, but it just feel flat. The only romance I was interested in was her mom's. Really? I was more interested in the hardly mentioned secondary characters than Allie. -sigh-

The plot, similar to everything else, was flat. Like a Sprite can left on the counter for 2 weeks. It might have been interesting, with the robberies and all, but even that wasn't as dramatic as I expected it to be. This book was not for me.

Overall: Flat plot, main character, and love interests. I was more interested in the barely there secondary characters. Not easy to relate to.

My Advice: Skip it. Unless you love music. Then maybe you'll be able to get through it. Maybe.

Cover: I think I'm the only one who doesn't like it. Obviously, it describes the book, but it's too messy and...thrown-together for my tastes.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE music, but I don't know if I love it enough to make up for an "eh" book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this but I kind of figured it would be like that. Don't know why. I'm one of those people who don't read something if I have any doubts. And still I end up with the occasional dud that makes me want to stab my eyebals out with a spork.haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine that I'd like this book. I don't have a particular interest in music and so don't think I'd be able to relate to the main character. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the review. You helped me decide to pass on this one.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book, and I've read it four times since I got it in December. It was nice to read about someone who is as obsessed with music as I am!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails