Friday, February 12, 2010

Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrsion

Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison
Publication Date/Version: March 2010/Hardcover
Publisher: Razorbill
Age Group: Young Adult
Received From: Around The World Tours (Thanks!)

THE TRANSFORMATION

Beth has always been “The Beast”—that’s what everyone at school calls her because of her awkward height, facial scars, and thick glasses. Beth’s only friend is geeky, golden-haired Scott. That is, until she’s selected to be her choir’s soprano soloist, and receives the makeover that will change her life forever.

THE LOVE AFFAIR

When Beth’s choir travels to Switzerland, she meets Derek: pale, brooding, totally dreamy. Derek’s untethered passion—for music, and for Beth—leaves her breathless. Because in Derek’s eyes? She’s not The Beast, she’s The Beauty.

THE IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE

When Beth comes home, Scott, her best friend in the world, makes a confession that leaves her completely torn. Should she stand by sweet, steady Scott or follow the dangerous, intense new feelings she has for Derek?

THE HEARTBREAK

The closer Beth gets to Derek, the further away he seems. Then Beth discovers that Derek’s been hiding a dark secret from her …one that could shatter everything.

Beth has always been "The Beast." Ugly, lonely, awkward. Scott's always been there for her. Beth escapes through her singing. Then her talents are discovered, and everything changes. She's made over, and her choir is transported to Switzerland. There she meets Derek, a choir singer in a competing team. Beth and Derek instantly fall for each other. But what about Scott?

Sing Me to Sleep is hands-down one of the best books I have ever or will ever read. It was truly amazing. Angela Morrison is easily a demi-god. Beth, Derek, and Scott were all wonderful characters. It's impossible not to feel for Beth. She's brutally abused by classmates, but eventually she rises above them. Derek is secretive, brooding, and enticing. I never got the bad boy vibe, but rather the boy-with-a-secret vibe. I wish he would have trusted Beth with his secret earlier, but I understand why he didn't bring it up. Scott has an undying love for Beth, even when he knows about Derek. Scott equals stability. He's always there for Beth, and he's convinced that he'll end up with her.

The plot was unlike any I've read before. I thoroughly enjoyed the choir and singing aspect. It was so powerful, and I wish that I could somehow experience the music described in Sing Me to Sleep in person. Beth's journey was breathtaking, shall I say, as was her relationship with Derek. It was sweet, innocent, and...I need another word for powerful. I couldn't get enough of this book. There was not a single weak spot. Beth's relationship with Derek could have been clingy and desperate, but there was such a deep connection. What they had was truly love, and anyone who reads this book will recognize that. This wasn't another teeny-bop romance. This was the real, mature, undying thing.

Now, the end. Oh goodness. Never, I repeat, never, saw that coming. That's how I know a book is good. Most YA books are predictable, but Sing Me to Sleep was far from it. It was truly awe-inspiring! I was dumbfounded, heart broken, and amazed. I cried. I didn't think I was going to, and then I got to this certain paragraph. I read one line, and I started crying. Not just a little, but big cries, with some gasping in there. Guys, I'm 16. Any book that can move me, as I'm relatively unemotional, is going to have a major impact on other people.

Overall: One of the best books I've ever read. Inspiring. Heart wrenching. Perfect. Created by a demi-god. Must read - do it now.

My Advice: Preorder this now (!!), or forever hang your head in shame. I'm getting my own copy for sure and passing it around to all of my friends. I can't stress my point enough.

Cover: Another perfect score for the Sing Me to Sleep team. So gentle and touching. It really conveys the general feel of the book.

*This was read as a part of the 100+ Reading Challenge

7 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing, and I like the sound of the unexpected ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sing Me to Sleep has such a gorgeous cover!x


    http://carlybennett.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure I signed up for this tour, too. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. eee!I've been seeing some positive reviews! i can't wait 2 read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds brilliant - am adding it to my list right away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review. I have to agree with you too, I don't normally cry with books but dang did I with this one! Truly a really good read!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails