Thursday, February 4, 2010

Interview: Suzanne Young, author of The Naughty List

Please welcome Suzanne Young, author of The Naughty List. You can read my review here. She is here today in honor of the release of her much anticipated novel, The Naughty List. Suzanne Young is an author, wife, and mother of two. She earned a BA in Creative Writing before becoming a middle school Language Arts teacher. She currently live in Beaverton, Oregon. (McKenzie: Go Oregonians!) Visit her blog at http://www.suzanne-young.blogspot.com/ to learn more.

1. Describe The Naughty List in 50 words or less.
Tessa Crimson’s the sweet and spunky leader of the SOS (Society of Smitten Kittens), a cheer squad–turned–spy society dedicated to bringing dastardly boyfriends to justice. But when Tessa’s own boyfriend becomes a suspect, she turns her sleuthing skills on him. Is Aiden just as naughty as all the rest?

2. What inspired you to write your debut novel? Do you draw from personal experience, or did the idea of catching cheating boyfriends just sound fun?
My original idea was for ninja cheerleaders. Eventually I tried to think about what the Smitten Kittens would be trying to fight against. Then I remembered the worst thing that happened to me in high school—cheating boyfriend. The Naughty List was born.

3. Is there anything you must have while writing?
Reese’s Pieces!! And my bathrobe—it helps me concentrate.

4. Everyone's forced to read classics in high school English. Which ones did you love? Which ones should students never be forced to read?
I LOVED Shakespeare. Romeo and Juliet and King Lear. Sigh… But I couldn’t handle poetry. I always felt like the teachers were reading too much into the sentences. Sometimes a butterfly is just a butterfly. (McKenzie: I know! Honestly, not everything has a hidden meaning.)

5. Do you connect with the main character, Tessa? She's rather spunky and peppy!
I absolutely do. I understand that on the outside she’s shiny, even (or especially) when things aren’t going right. Her actions may be flawed, but she does it all with a good heart. I really like her.

6. Are you working on anything right now? If so, please tell us something about it.
I just finished up the third book in the Naughty List series: A Good Boy is Hard to Find. Other than that, I have a new book that I’ve been working on that you should be hearing about soon.

Thanks so much for joining us Suzanne!

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading TNL now...loving it. Suzanne is an awesome writer can't wait 4 the next 2 books!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails