Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker

A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker
Publication Date/Version: February 2010/Paperback
Publisher: Razorbill
Age Group: Young Adult
Received From: Around The World Tours (Thanks!)

When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can’t get any worse. That’s until she marries her “husband”: jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona’s long-term crush, Gabe. At least Fiona is doing better than her best friend, Marcie, who is paired up with the very quiet, very dorky, very big Johnny Mercer.

Pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes.

Fiona's life sucks. Her school principal has just announced that all seniors must complete a marriage crash course in order to graduate. Each person will be paired with another member of the senior class. Fiona gets stuck with Todd, the typical smooth-talking jock. She hates him. Even better, her crush, Gabe, gets put with Amanda, Todd's girlfriend. And poor Marcie, her best friend, is paired with Johnny Mercer, the dorky big kid who's never without his headphones. Let the games begin.

Kristin Walker manages to create a laugh-out-loud hilarious story with some serious Shakespearean qualities, along with an incredibly exciting plot. The idea is original and some serious fun. Can you imagine having to go through a marriage crash course? I'm thinking of the guys in my class, imagining being stuck with one of them for the rest of the year, and honestly, a good 75% of those situations - in my head of course - ends up with either someone very hurt physically or emotionally scarred. I totally feel for Fiona, especially when she gets paired with Todd.

I really enjoyed all of the characters in A Match Made in High School. Each represented, to me, a different social group within high school, while managing to be their own individual character. Fiona and Marcie were more of the average students, Todd the jock, Amanda the cheerleader, Johnny the outcast, and Gabe the all around good guy. Each brought a lot to the story and really set the scene for a typical high school.

The dialogue between Todd and Fiona was so witty and hilarious! I honestly cracked up throughout the entire book. Not just a couple times, not a few, but seriously, a good ten times. My parents thought I was insane. But really, I have never read such a funny book before! All of the snappy dialogue and completely ridiculous situations were just too good.

I was happy with the ending - yay! I think I've ended my bad-ending-streak. It was cute and Fiona ended up with the right person. And I actually came to respect a large majority of the characters. If you're looking for some humor, be sure to check this out.

Overall: Witty. Hilarious. Drama!

My Advice: Buy a copy. I would definitely read this again, just so I could pick up some of the character's lines. Besides, it's being released in paperback ,so it won't cost you 17 bucks.

The Cover: I like it a lot. I like the overall style and color combinations. I do wish, however, that the characters would be more well portrayed in the pictures because I don't feel that any of the people really represent the book's characters.

*This was read as a part of the 2010 Debut Author Challenge and the 100+ Reading Challenge

7 comments:

  1. This looks like such a cute read. I love how the story line is so unique. And since you mentioned it was funny, I'll defiantly be buying this one. Great review and glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so much fun. Great review. I am quite wanting to give this book a try even though it is a mile outside my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hearing such great things about this one. This is one that I would have passed on had it not been for my lovely blogging buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, I've been wanting to read this for some time! Thanks for letting me know it's good enough to buy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds wicked, thanks for the review :). x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this one too! Thanks for the great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading this one at the moment and really enjoying it! As a matter of fact, I think I'll stop wasting time online and go back to reading instead, hehe! :D Great review, by the way! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails