Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate
Publication Date/Version: November 2009/Paperback
Publisher: Razrobill
Age Group: Young Adult
Received From: Around The World Tours

A steamy Southern beauty makes one fatal mistake

Natalie Hargrove would kill to be her high school’s Palmetto Princess. But her boyfriend Mike King doesn’t share her dream and risks losing the honor of Palmetto Prince to Natalie’s nemesis, Justin Balmer. So she convinces Mike to help play a prank on Justin. . . one that goes terribly wrong. They tie him to the front of the church after a party—when they arrive the next morning, Justin is dead.

From blackmail to buried desire, dark secrets to darker deeds, Natalie unravels. She never should’ve messed with fate. Fate is the one thing more twisted than Natalie Hargrove.

Natalie will be Palmetto Princess. It's as simple as that. The only problem is, her boyfriend, Mike, might not get the crown of Prince so easily. He up against Justin who's basically a shoo-in. Natalie decides to pull a prank of Justin, ruining his reputation and, therefore, his chance at the crown. Her prank, however, ends up with Justin dead. Now Natalie has to face what she's done, or rather, run away from her troubles.

While you won't get anything substantial out of The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove, it's definitely a guilty pleasure read. I went in expecting that, so the smutty, crazy kids of Palmetto were enjoyable in their over-the-top antics. Natalie wants to be crowned with her boyfriend and she'll do anything, quite literally, to get the crown. She didn't intend on killing Justin, but now that he's dead, she has to confess or cover up. And guess what the spoiled princess does? Covers it up.

This book had a bit too much anticipation for me. I don't mind some, but I do like a bit more resolution before the last three pages. I felt as though the story was dragged out through the entire book, and the ending was caught of nowhere. The ending was rather abrupt, and just as Natalie did, the author seemed to run away from any real resolution. The end took the easy way out, and I was unhappy with that.

That said, I did enjoy the wild stories of Natalie and her fellow classmates. It's fun to escape into a world with no limits every once in awhile. Their traditions were wild and slutty. What I found even more humorous was the fact the Natalie attempted to remain classy during all of this, as if there was any class left.

Natalie was a bit of a troublesome, headache-inducing character. She ran away from her problems instead of facing them head on. The rest of the characters were intriguing, especially Kate and the creepy officer. Wild times... I enjoyed this book, but it's definitely not a reread. Check it out if you're in the mood for some trashy lit - in a good way.

Overall: Slutty. Wild. Abrupt ending. Too drawn out.

My Advice: Borrow or skip. It's good for guilty pleasure reading, much not much else.

Cover: I do not like it. The way "Betrayal" is stressed and the model's pose. She's trying way too hard to look stuck up. The lighting also gives the cover an odd effect that I'm not fond of.

*This was read as a part of the 100+ Reading Challenge

5 comments:

  1. Great, honest review! I don't think this one is for me, though. I'll stick to the Fallen series :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Lol, love your choice of overall words. And, yeah, when I passed over this book in the bookstore, that's basically what I thought of it... not exactly for me. I can tell I'd want to kill Natalie from page one. Or negative one, whatever comes sooner. Thanks for the honest review though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, honest review. I have to say that I enjoyed this more than you seemed to, but mainly because I sometimes get a craving for guilty pleasure reads like this. I liked it, but Fallen was way better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the premise was so promising. Thanks for the honest review.

    Also, I have 2 awards for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails