Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Freaskville by Kitty Keswick

Freaksville by Kitty Keswick
Publication Date/Version: December 2009/Paperback
Publisher: Leap Books
Age Group: Young Adult
Received From: Around The World Tours (Thanks!)

Every woman in the Maxwell family has the gift of sight. A talent sixteen year old Kasey would gladly give up. Until Kasey has a vision about Josh Johnstone, the foreign exchange student from England. The vision leads her into deep waters, a lead in a play, and into the arms of Josh. But Josh, too, has a secret. Something that could put them all in danger. To solve a mystery of a supernatural haunting, they must uncover the secrets of the haunted theater when they are trapped on the night of the full moon.

Every woman in Kasey's family has the gift of sight, including herself. She sees quick visions of other's lives, followed by incredibly headaches. And thing are only going to get worse when she turns sixteen. Luckily, her best friend, who knows her secret, is always there for her. Along comes Josh, the dreamy exchange student whom Kasey quickly falls for. Little does Kasey know that many people in her life are keeping secrets - some of them deadly.

Though marketed towards the Young Adult category, I believe this is best advertised as a Middle Grade novel. The writing is simple, the plot is cheesy, and the dialogue is average. Tweens who are looking for an age appropriate Twilight replacement may enjoy this, but older readers will be turned off by the lack of originality, as well as the plain characters.

Freaksville was a fun enough story, but it's unoriginality often had me bored. Werewolves, again? I'm not a fan of typical paranormals, so anything that isn't fabulous will instantly gain negative feelings from myself. I feel as though this is just another attempt to get in on the new fad of paranormal creatures - werewolves, zombies, and vampires, oh suffocate me with poor literature! That's not necessarily directed at this book, that's just me complaining in general. Freaksville didn't offer anything new, and was, therefore, just another story.

The characters in this book where around their 15s to 16s, but lacked all maturity. The relationship between Kasey and Josh was explosively sudden - one minute she's stalking him at play tryouts and the next they're snogging, even though he accused her of stalking him. Right... The majority of their relationship was purely physical, but somehow, by the book's end, they become madly in love with each other and couldn't imagine life without the other. How old are you again? Oh yeah, you're sophomores in high school. Not believable. The characters I enjoyed the most were Kasey's parents and best friend, whose names I sadly can't remember. They were the only ones who offered any semblance of personality.

While this review turned more into a rant than anything, Freaksville is overall an okay story that I believe should be marketed towards Middle Grades. They, I believe, will look past the flaws and enjoy the simple writing and fluffy romance. Older readers will have a tough time, however. I personally won't be picking up the sequel.

Overall: Unoriginal. Immature. Should be directed to Middle Grade readers.

My Advice: Skip it. Maybe recommend it to MG readers who are dying for some new, appropriate paranormal reads.

Cover: This cover would prevent me from buying the book. It's too busy and not easy to read. There's no special element.

*This was read as a part of the 100+ Reading Challenge

4 comments:

  1. I just got the book from Around The World Tours today (thanks!!) sorry you didn't like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta say, I was freaked by the whole locked in the tunnels under the theatre scenes. Held my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was hilarious. I laughed the whole way through--except for the tunnel part. That was pretty scary.

    And I can't wait to see what happens in the next book. That ghost Isaac sounds hot. I like him better than Josh, so I hope Casey hooks up with him.

    And Ruby's back. Yay!! She was my favorite character. The only one I'll miss is Gillie. She was a great best friend, so I hope she at least comes for a visit. It's kinda sad she's so far away.

    You know, McKenzie, I wonder if you finished the book if you'd like it better. Although I enjoyed it from the first page, so who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dyan: I did finish reading the book, so my opinion is based on the entire story. Glad you enjoyed it, though. :]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails