Thursday, March 11, 2010

How Not to Make a Wish by Mindy Klasky

How Not to Make a Wish by Mindy Klasky
Publication Date/Version: October 2009/Paperback
Publisher: Mira
Age Group: Adult, with crossover appeal
Received From: Other Shelf Tours (Thanks!)

While cleaning an old lantern, Kira Franklin releases a genie. But this gender-morphing, appearance-bending creature doesn't do "big" wishes. So forget stopping world hunger or ending war. And still heartbroken from the jerk who dumped her, Kira doesn't believe in the perfect man.

So she wishes for her dream job. Stage manager at the hottest theater in town, the Landmark. And presto: she's running Romeo and Juliet. Except, like everything else these days, this is one crazy production. And now Teel, the genie, insists she finish her wishes so "he" can move on.

Her second wish is about her appearance, which isn't exactly catching her third wish's eye. And there's the rub.

Because that old saying about being careful what you wish for is so spot-on. And Kira is about to discover that moxie, not magic, is what can make all your dreams come true.

Kira's life hasn't been going too well. She was left at the alter right around a year ago, she's put on an unhealthy amount of weight, and her job as a stage manager is tanking. When cleaning the prop room, she finds a magic lamp. A little rub - and out pops Teel, a genie! Turns out, Kira now has some wishes to make. First, she wishes for her dream job. Little does she know that the new producer is a tad insane. She continues making wishes and continues learning from her mistakes, becoming a more confident person.

This is the first book I've read by Ms. Klasky, and man was it enjoyable! She created an exciting setting with genuine characters and plenty of drama. The plot flowed quickly, and it was quite the page-turner. I would blow through 100 pages without even realizing it.

Kira was a real person who was easy to connect with. People will enjoy her go-get-it attitude, as well as her playful side. She knows what she whats - or at least thinks she does - and she'll do whatever it takes to get it. I enjoyed her transformation from an insecure person hiding behind big clothes, to a confident woman who wasn't afraid to standout. The secondary characters each had their own unique charms and didn't blend into the mix of run-of-the-mill secondary characters. They were memorable and entertaining.

When I first entered this book, I did not realize this was an Adult novel. I'm glad I made the mistake of stumbling onto it, or I never would have known what I was missing. I enjoy chick lit every once in awhile, but I've stayed away form Adult novels of this genre because I worry about the extent of sexual content. I don't made when it's done tastefully, but I don't want the book I'm reading to revolve around hot and heavy sex. Luckily, Ms. Klasky didn't push any boundaries. This novel, based on its sexual content, could quite easily qualify as Young Adult. I've read so much worse in YA.

How Not to Make a Wish was not only funny and endearing, but the author also managed to create a fun novel that wasn't dumbed down whatsoever. I was actually surprised by just how well sentences were formed and how easily the words flowed. If you're a YA fan who's looking to venture into the world of Adult chick lit, pick this up! I will definitely be reading Mindy Klasky's other novels, as well as the rest of this series.

Overall: Delightful! Clean content. Extraordinary characters. Smooth writing. Quick plot. Great chick lit - no guilty feelings!

My Advice: If you're a chick lit fan, buy a copy. It's highly enjoyable. If you enjoy the occasional romance, borrow it.

Cover: Love it! It's playful and pretty. The curtains, title, and stars really tie it together for me.

*This was read as a part of the 100+ Reading Challenge

1 comment:

  1. I love this cover and have to check out this book sometime. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails