Saturday, March 6, 2010

In My Mailbox (29)

IMM is a weekly meme that explores the contents of one's mailbox. IMM was started by Kristi at The Story Siren. Descriptions are from Amazon and book covers.

For Review:

Blue Plate Special by Michelle D. Kwasney
(HC/September 2009/Chronicle Books)

Big Macs and pop tunes mask the emptiness as Madeline watches her mom drink away their welfare checks. Until the day Tad, a quirky McDonald's counter boy, asks Madeline out for a date, and she gets her first taste of normal. But with a life that's anything but, how long can normal really last?

Hanging with Jeremy, avoiding Mam, sticking Do Not Disturb Post-its on her heart, Desiree's mission is simple: party hard, graduate (well, maybe), get out of town. But after Desiree accepts half a meatball grinder, a cold drink, and a ride from her mother's boyfriend one rainy afternoon, nothing is ever simple again.

Too many AP classes. Workaholic mom. Dad in prison. Still, Ariel's sultry new boyfriend, Shane, manages to make even the worst days delicious. But when an unexpected phone call forces a trip to visit a sick grandmother she's never met, revealing her family's dark past, Ariel struggles to find the courage to make the right choice for her own future.

As three girls from three different decades lives converge, they discover they are connected ways they could never imagine. Each of them finds strength that brings her closer to healing a painful past, and faith that there is a happier future.

I featured this on Wednesday Wishlist a couple of weeks ago and someone from Chronicle Books contacted me and offered to send me a review copy. This is the first time I've been contacted after "wishing" for a book. I was pretty stoked! I've heard great things, and I can't wait to read it.


Unearthly Asylum by P. J. Bracegirdle
(ARC/Releases August 2010/McElderry Books)

Joy Wells is fascinated by the strange noises coming from the old Spooking Asylum. She knows all about the famous legends that surround the place, and is certain that she is hearing the guns of long-dead soldiers. But what if something more contemporary - and truly ghastly - is going on? When Joy's pet frog, Fizz, gets away, Joy travels through the town's old sewers looking for him, only to emerge above ground - inside the locked gates of the asylum. There' she uncovers a trail of greed and madness guaranteed to thrill her horror-loving heart!

Another surprise from the wonderful S&S. I've never heard of this series, nor read the first book. Can this be read alone? Has anyone reviewed them or read them? If you have, please let me know your thoughts!


Numbers by Rachel Ward
(ARC/Released February 2010/Chicken House)

Ever since she was child, Jem has kept a secret: Whenever she meets someone new, no matter who, as soon as she looks into their eyes, a number pops into her head. That number is a date: the date they will die. Burdened with such awful awareness, Jem avoids relationships. Until she meets Spider, another outsider, and takes a chance. The two plan a trip to the city. But while waiting to ride the Eye ferris wheel, Jem is terrified to see that all the other tourists in line flash the same number. Today's number. Today's date. Terrorists are going to attack London. Jem's world is about to explode!

I received this from Around The World Tours. I've been dying to read this. It sounds amazing!


The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate
(ARC/Released November 2009/Razor Bill)

A steamy Southern beauty makes one fatal mistake
Natalie Hargrove would kill to be her high school’s Palmetto Princess. But her boyfriend Mike King doesn’t share her dream and risks losing the honor of Palmetto Prince to Natalie’s nemesis, Justin Balmer. So she convinces Mike to help play a prank on Justin. . . one that goes terribly wrong. They tie him to the front of the church after a party—when they arrive the next morning, Justin is dead.

From blackmail to buried desire, dark secrets to darker deeds, Natalie unravels. She never should’ve messed with fate. Fate is the one thing more twisted than Natalie Hargrove.

I received this from Around The World Tours. I'm very excited to read this! Sounds like a lot of drama.

Won:
Willow by Julia Hoban
Thanks so much Anna! I'm one of the few people who hasn't read this yet. Based on the reviews, though, I really should push this to the top of my TBR list.

Other:
Very LeFreak by Rachel Cohn
Yay for Random Buzzers! I redeemed my points for this book. If you haven't checked out that site already, you should!

I had a great week! What about you?

11 comments:

  1. Nice week! I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of Numbers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books! I enjoyed The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool books! I haven't read Willow yet either, but I've heard it's so, so great.

    Hope you enjoy your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books. I've heard good things about Numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished reading Numbers. Talk about gritty. I couldn't put it down. I'm totally intrigued by the Unearthly Assylum. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Unearly, so I can't be any help, but it does sound good :) I'v heard Blue Plate Special was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really interested to hear what you think of Numbers and I can't wait to get my hands on Willow:) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool books! I really want to read Numbers and Blue Plate Special is sitting on my TBR stack thanks to a contest I won. I hope you enjoy all your new books. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd never heard of Blue Plate Special -- it sounds really good. I am also intrigued by Numbers. I hope you enjoy all your books. have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that you will enjoy your books. Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails