Wednesday, March 3, 2010

UTF: Unable to Finish (2)

I've decided to start a new post called UTF, or Unable to Finish. This doesn't happen often, as I'm one of those people who feels incomplete if I don't finish a book, but sometimes I can't help it. In this feature I'll highlight my problems with the book or books and explain why I was unable to finish. (Book summaries not included)

Island Sting by Bonnie J. Doerr
(PB/December 2009/Leap Books)

I was so excited to read this as the main character had a variation of my name - Kenzie! - and was into being ecofriendly. The writing style quickly turned me off, however, as it was choppy and seemed to be directed to a younger audience. The plot, being about saving a deer population, would be good for animal lovers, but unfortunately didn't hold my attention. I believe that a younger audience would enjoy this. I'm disappointed that I went into this expecting a YA novel - but that's really my fault. Have an animal loving MG reader? Have them try this.

11 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for not finishing it...it doesn't sound very good. I like your post idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea for a post becuase like most people, some books I pick up-I can't finish.

    I love books when the main character has my name and ecofriendly characters (because that's what I can relate to.)

    Its too bad you didn't enjoy this one as much as you wanted to, and you're right--I don't think I could read a book about saving deer population.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book. I thought the choppy style fit the fast-paced mystery. And you're right, it is for tweens, at least that's what the publisher's website says. So it's a perfect fit for that age group.

    Avaline

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed it Avaline! I didn't check the publisher's website, and I guess that's my fault.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh, would the fact that the deer in theh story are tiny and an endangered species help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I have to question the ethics of reviewing a book you haven't finished. Seems more fair to leave it on the shelf without remark. I personally enjoyed Island Sting. To me it read like a Nancy Drew for the green generation. And the Key West setting was alive enough to be almost another character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought Island Sting was fun read, but I guess not everyone likes the same books.

    Anyone who cares about the environment or endangered animals should enjoy this, though. So I hope they'll give it a try. It's a great mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Rhonda: I understand your iffiness towards my, erm, half-reviews. I try not to review the books, but simply state my reasons for being unable to finish the book. I like to inform others about books I didn't finish because I know other bloggers share similar tastes. Thanks for the thoughtful comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you didn't realize Island Sting was for tweens. When I first read your post,I was sad and a little hurt that you didn't read it. But then I thought, Now here's a girl who knows what she likes. And that's a good thing. Some of us spend a lifetime trying to figure that out. Next, I had an even better thought. Though you didn't care for Island Sting, it still inspired creativity in you! You came up with an entirely new category for your posts. And I think that's cool, too. Read on, Book Owl! I applaud your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Bonnie: Thanks for the comment! It would be completely understandable if you were angry at me, but it's wonderful that you're such a positive person!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails