Saturday, April 24, 2010

In My Mailbox (35)

IMM is a weekly meme that explores the contents of one's mailbox. IMM was started by Kristi at The Story Siren. Descriptions are from Goodreads.

For Review:

The Turning: What Curiosity Kills by Helen Ellis
(ARC/Releases May 2010/Sourcebooks Fire)

Mary Richards is a normal sixteen-year-old girl living in Manhattan. Well, almost normal. She goes to private school on the Upper East Side, having been saved from a life of squalor by an adoptive family. But she’s also slowly transforming into a cat.

Struggling to hide her physical metamorphosis, Mary discovers that she isn’t alone. A whole race of cat people prowls the streets of Manhattan at night, including Mary’s long-time crush, Nick.

Aside from heightened feline senses, hanging out with Nick is the best thing about discovering her inner kitty. But Mary’s transformation is special and could decide the outcome of a citywide turf war. She must decide whether to embrace her powerful feline side and become a pack leader or go back to being a normal teenage girl. Can she land on her feet or will curiosity be her downfall?

What a crazy idea. Sounds like a whole lot of drama. I received this for review from the publisher/publicist.


Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers
(ARC/Released January 2010/St. Martin's Griffin)

Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard--falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High... until vicious rumors about her and her best friend's boyfriend start going around.

Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge. If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past who she herself used to bully. Friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Michael could be more than just a friend... if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first.

I've already read this, and I could not stand it. Yeah, I'm probably the only one, but just thinking about it makes me grimace. -shudders- I received this for review from Around The World Tours.


Girl Parts by John M. Cusick
(ARC/Releases August 2010/Candlewick Press)

"Hello, David. My name is Rose. It’s a pleasure to meet you. We are now entering minute two of our friendship. According to my Intimacy Clock, a handshake is now appropriate…"

David and Charlie are opposites. David has a million friends, online and off. Charlie is a soulful outsider, off the grid completely. But neither feels close to anybody. When David’s parents present him with a hot Companion bot to encourage healthy bonds and treat "dissociative disorder," he can’t get enough of luscious red-headed Rose — and he can’t get it soon. Companions come with strict intimacy protocols, and whenever he tries anything, David gets an electric shock. Severed from the boy she was built to love, Rose turns to Charlie, who finds he can open up, knowing Rose isn’t real. With Charlie’s help, the ideal "companion" is about to become her own best friend. In a stunning and hilarious debut, John Cusick takes rollicking aim at internet culture and our craving for meaningful connection in an uber-connected world.

Oh my gosh, I think this sounds beyond amazing! What an exciting premise. I received this for review from Teens Read Too.


I had a good week! What about you?

11 comments:

  1. All of these sound great. I really want to read them all, especially Girl Parts. I love the cover for it. Can't wait to see what you think of them. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, all of those sound really good! I really want to read Some Girls Are. Enjoy : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl Parts looks amazing! And wow, you're the only person that I've seen who didn't like Some Girls Are! I haven't read it yet, so I can't give my opinion. The Turning looks really...interesting. I hope that you enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl Parts sounds amazing!! I'm totally jealous :). Have fun reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all sound great to me, but especially Girl Parts which I hadn't heard of before. I'll definitely be looking out for that one. Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome books! I'm sorry you didn't like Some Girls Are. It irritated me too but I still thought the message was pretty profound.

    Here's my IMM for the week: http://bookielaura.blogspot.com/2010/04/in-my-mailbox-42410.html

    I hope you have an awesome Sunday!
    Laura from the Bookie Bunch ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of Girl Parts before....sounds different. I got The Turning in the mail too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh, Girl Parts looks great! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All 3 look great! Happy reading!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/04/mailbox-weekly_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep reading glowing reviews of Some Girls Are, and The Turning looks intriguing. I am interested in Girl Parts too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, i hadn't heard of girl parts before, looks really interesting. the turning looks great too. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails