Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Star Shack by Lila Castle

The Star Shack by Lila Castle
Publication Date/Version: June 2010/Paperback
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Age Group: Young Adult
Received From: Around The World Tours (Thanks!)

Pete and Annabelle live for their summers together on Gingerbread Beach. They've always believed they were a perfect pair… until junior year, when Annabelle becomes obsessed with astrology. Now they can hardly stand each other. Pete thinks that Annabelle (a Leo) has become a total flake; Annabelle thinks Pete (a Scorpio) has become an uptight jerk.

When Annabelle dares Pete to open a summer business on the Boardwalk generating personalized horoscopes, their fast-paced, hilarious bickering soon rises to a fever pitch. The he-said/she-said advice of the Star Shack is wildly popular and seems able to fix any relationship problem… except their own.

But when one of Annabelle's star charts helps catch a thief, Pete might have to admit that the stars could really hold the key to the future…and to his own heart.

Pete and Annabelle have always spent their summers together at Gingerbread Beach. This summer, Pete hopes, is looking to be the one in which he and Annabelle finally become a couple. There's one problem, however. Annabelle's become obsessed with astrology, attributing all of her successes to it. Pete can't stand that she bases all of her decisions on what he deems as silly. Annabelle, knowing Pete can't resist, dares him to run a business with her helping to pair people together based on their astrology. Pete soon develops into quite the astrology whiz and is stunned to see how effective their business is. Will he be able to get over Annabelle's love of astrology for what could be a great summer?

Told in alternating perspective, along with fun horoscopes, The Star Shack ambles along at a beach town pace, making it a cute summer read. I was initially worried going into this book, as I hadn't liked any books yet published by Sourcebooks Fire, but this one changed my mind. While it wasn't substantial in ideas or prose, it was light and fun.

Annabelle and Pete are both enjoyable characters, the kind of people who know each other just a little too well. I rooted for them the whole time, even when Pete was being stubborn and Annabelle was being a little more than mean. Their bantering made their feelings for each other obvious, as did Pete's overall protectiveness of Annabelle.

The story was simple and cute, but didn't have much depth. It was fairly predictable and cheesy, but I did enjoy the added element of astrology. I've always thought astrology was a fun tool, but nothing I took very seriously. It was a bit frustrating to see Annabelle focus so steadfastly on her charts, but she was a headstrong girl who stuck by what she believed it which is always nice to see. It makes for an easy, beach read, but not much else. That being said, I did enjoy this story, but it's not something that I would read again.

Overall: Breezy, light, and cute. Good vacation read.

My Advice: Borrow a copy. It's an enjoyable read.

Cover: I like the words and the astrology chart, but the rest is rather blah for my tastes.

*This was read as a part of the 2010 Debut Author Challenge and the 100+ Reading Challenge

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I recently just won this and can't wait to read it! It looks like a fun read for the summer =)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Star Shack looks really good. I found you on the Hop and am now a follower.
    http://www.booksaremything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a light, enjoyable summerey read. Astrology is always interesting :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read this, it sounds fun. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fun beach read. I remember the days when I used to read horoscopes. Ah, I am missing my youth again. Great review Mckenzie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the cheese warning. I find I like cheese when I know ahead of time what I'm getting it to.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails