Thursday, April 22, 2010

UTF: Unable to Finish (3)

UTF, or Unable to Finish, is a semi-regular feature here at The Book Owl in which I tell about books I couldn't finish. This doesn't happen often, as I'm one of those people who feels incomplete if I don't finish a book, but sometimes I can't help it. In this feature I'll highlight my problems with the book or books and explain why I was unable to finish. (Book summaries not included)


Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey
(HC/May 2010/Harcourt Children's Books)

I haven't yet read Jessica's Guide, but after this lackluster read, I'm not sure I'll even bother. The plot could have been very interesting, and near the middle, it was the only thing propelling me forward. Jill was boring, mousy, and so dull. I could never decide if Tristen was good or bad. There was no humor, no excitement, and no chemistry. It was a flop. Maybe you should pick it up if you enjoyed Ms. Fantaskey's previous work, but I can't offer a personal take on that.

Swoon at Your Own Risk by Sydney Salter
(PB/April 2010/Graphia)

Swoon at Your Own Risk really wasn't a bad read, but I wasn't in the mood. I was 100 pages in and still not committed whatsoever, so I ended it there. It was fairly funny, but I felt like the author was trying a bit too hard. It may have been the fact that many of the characters seemed too immature to be almost seniors, or the fact that Polly never stopped focusing on herself. I can see how some people would enjoy this, but I really didn't feel like reading a fluff book. It might make a good summer pool read.

UTF.

2 comments:

  1. Wow......these don't sound so good! I'm so relieved I can take them off my TBR pile :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer. Sorry to hear but I'm loving the feedback :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails