Saturday, July 17, 2010

In My Mailbox (45)

IMM is a weekly meme that explores the contents of one's mailbox. IMM was started by Kristi at The Story Siren. Descriptions are from Goodreads.

For Review:

White Cat by Holly Black
(ARC/Released May 2010/McElderry Books)

Cassel comes from a family of curse workers -- people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all mobsters, or con artists. Except for Cassel. He hasn't got the magic touch, so he's an outsider, the straight kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail -- he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago.

Ever since, Cassel has carefully built up a façade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his façade starts crumbling when he starts sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things, too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him, caught up in a mysterious plot. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he also wonders what really happened to Lila. Could she still be alive? To find that out, Cassel will have to out-con the conmen.

Thanks to Around The World Tours for this one. I've already read it, and I will have a review posted soon.

Deception by Lee Nichols
(ARC/Released June 2010/Bloomsbury)

When Emma Vaile's parents leave on mysterious business trip, it gives her the perfect excuse to be a rebellious teen. Throw some parties, get a tattoo (or maybe just a piercing), and enjoy the first few weeks of her junior year. Then her best friend stops talking to her, the cops crash her party, and Emma finds herself in the hands of a new guardian—her college-age "knight in J.Crew armor," Bennett Stern—and on a plane to his museum-like mansion in New England.

After enrolling at Thatcher Academy, Emma settles in by making friends with the popular legacy crowd. But she can't shake the strange visions that are haunting her. She has memories of Thatcher she can't explain, as if she's returning home to a place she's never been. Emma doesn't trust anyone anymore—except maybe Bennett. But he's about to reveal a ghostly secret to Emma. One that will explain the visions . . . and make Emma fear for her life.

Thanks to Around The World Tours for this one as well. I'm almost done with it, and I've enjoyed it immensely. I hope the ending's good!

Won:
Borderline by Allan Stratton (Thanks Kelsey!)
A Matter of Magic by Patricia C. Wrede (Thanks Celi.a!) (The cover is amazing, and I can't wait to read it!)
The Mosts by Melissa Senate (From Random Buzzers ARC giveaways)
The Life and Opinions of Amy Finawitz by Laura Toffler-Corrie (Goodreads First Reads Program)

Traded:
Possessions by Nancy Holder

Gift:
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (PB)

My library's awesome! If you sign up for the teen summer reading program - all you do is put your name and phone number on a slip of paper - you get to choose a free book. And this was one of them! You can imagine my excitement as 1. I haven't read this yet and 2. I love paperbacks!

Bought:
Nancy Drew: Trail of the Twister

Okay, so this is a PC game. But I absolutely love them, so I thought I would include it.

I had a great week! What about you?

7 comments:

  1. Hey! Hope you like WHITE CAT (I got that one too awhile ago) and A MATTER OF MAGIC looks really interesting!
    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. White Cat & Deception are great! And congrats on your wins :)

    Hope you like them all! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great week for you! I really liked White Cat and I have Deception to read also. Come by and see what else I got this week! Happy reading!!

    www.randomchalktalk.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read White Cat! The others look great too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read White Cat, and I really enjoyed Deception. Enjoy your books, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails