Friday, July 2, 2010

My Double Life by Janette Rallison

My Double Life by Janette Rallison
Publication Date/Version: May 2010/Paperback
Publisher: Putnam
Age Group: Young Adult
Received From: Around The World Tours (Thanks!)

Her whole life, Alexia Garcia has been told that she looks just like pop star Kari Kingsley, and one day when Alexia’s photo filters through the Internet, she’s offered a job to be Kari’s double. This would seem like the opportunity of a lifetime, but Alexia’s mother has always warned her against celebrities.

Rebelliously, Alexia flies off to L.A. and gets immersed in a celebrity life. Not only does she have to get used to getting anything she wants, she romances the hottest lead singer on the charts, and finds out that her own father is a singing legend. Through it all, Alexia must stay true to herself, which is hard to do when you are pretending to be somebody else!

Yes, Alexia gets it all the time. She knows she looks like Kari Kingsley, the infamous pop star. She's never really thought anything of it though. One day, however, Alexia is offered the chance to be Kari's body double. Alexia sees this as her chance to escape her life of poverty in a bong town, and she says yes, heading off to L.A. She discovers that there's a reason her and Kari look so alike, and it comes with serious repercussions.

This is my first book by Janette Rallison, and after reading My Double Life, I can't believe I've been missing out for so long! This book was fun, fresh, and adorable. Though at first glance it looks to be full of fluff, I was surprised to find that there was a lot more depth than I was expecting.

Alexia is an instantly loveable character. She has a good family life, but no dad. It's never affected her terribly, but she does want to know who he is. Alexia is tired of her boring life, and heads off to L.A. to be Kari's body double. She'll get paid tons and have a good time while doing it. Much to her surprise, however, being a body double is tough work. She trains endlessly each day, going to a fitness trainer and learning dance routines and songs. With such great perks though, Alexia doesn't mind too much. She soon finds herself falling for Grant, a popular singer. The problem is, he thinks she's Kari, and Kari hates Grants. As you can imagine, things get a bit sticky.

My Double Life actually offers up a couple important lessons. One, don't judge based on looks or first impressions. Two, stay true to yourself. Alexia learned both of these the hard way, all while dealing with an absent father, demanding career, and crazy coworkers. Her journey from simple to glamorous back to a combination of both was fun to watch. Alexia was one of those girls that everyone likes. If she were real, she'd be the one with an infectious personality. Even Kari, who comes across as snobbish, turns out to be a good person who just got a little lost on the way. The characters in this story were all genuine and proved that impressions aren't everything.

I enjoyed the overall flow of the story, especially the last couple of major events. In many cases, I don't like when books have complete closure or a perfect ending, but I was happy with it in this case. I look forward to reading more by Rallison.

Overall: More depth than I expected. A great summer read.

My Advice: Borrow it. It's perfect for lounging around during the summer.

Cover: I like the cover, but I wish the model had darker skin. Alexia was part Mexican, I believe, and the model doesn't accurately portray that.

*This was read as a part of the 100+ Reading Challenge

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good summer read. Added to the TBR pile! Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! To be honest, I wasn't ever really sure of this book, but your review makes it sound great! I'll have to look out for it, :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this one.
    I'm a huge fan of JR.

    Cover note: I've known light skinned Mexicans so her skin didn't bother me. :) I just didn't think her features looked ethnic enough.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. at a quick glance at the front cover i thought it was Holly from the playboy mansion lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading the synopsis, I did think this sounded a little too fluffy, but by the looks of it, there seems to be some depth to it as well. Ha, I guess I did judge by first impressions! :P

    (Thanks for stopping by for TSN! Hope you enjoy Stolen as much as I did.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review - looks like an OK read! I've got a stack of books I can't wait to dig into this summer. Stopping by from Books At Midnight - Saturday Network. Hope you are having a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails