Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Publication Date/Version: June 2010/Hardcover
Publisher: Egmont
Age Group: Young Adult
Received From: Around The World Tours (Thanks!)

Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it. That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.

But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?

Bryn, whose parents were killed by a rabid werewolf when she was just a child, was adopted by the alpha werewolf of the Stone Creek Pack. She's known for breaking rules, much to the dislike of other pack members. She, however, is protected by Callum, the alpha. Bryn finds out about Chase, a newly turned were. Bryn must ask herself the most terrifying question of all: Is the Rabid still out there?

Who knew werewolf fiction could be this wonderfully exciting and such a good read? I didn't! Jennifer Lynn Barnes, however, has completely changed my perspective on paranormal fiction. There is hope, I claim.

Bryn is definitely the most stubborn, hard-headed character you will meet. She's sarcastic, witty, and always breaks the rules. Her sibling-like bond with Callum is endearing, and you can really tell just how much he cares for her. Each of the werewolves is unique and easy to tell apart. I was fascinated by all of the rules and structure of the pack. Al of the secondary characters were strong, though I would've enjoyed learning a bit more about some of them, especially Devon. Lake, a female werewolf, was one of my favorite best friend characters by far.

The story progresses at a steady pace, with plenty of action and mystery. It was unpredictable, something I never expected from another paranormal novel. I really did, however, keep me guessing. Barnes wove an exciting world that's easy to imagine. You'll wish you were one of them.

I can't speak enough of how awesome the plot was! It was different and stood out from the crowd. Barnes was able to take run-of-the-mill werewolf fiction, twist it, and make it her own. This didn't feel like another author just trying to join the bandwagon. With a book like this, she could've started the whole paranormal trend. I recommend this to everyone, even the paranormal-wary.

Overall: Who knew paranormal fiction was this good! Lots of action. Headstrong female heroin. Great supporting friends.

My Advice: Buy it. I can't wait to get my own pretty copy!

Cover: I like the title treatment, as well as how the cover is dark without being black and gloomy. Melissa Marr's quote is spot on.

*This was read as a part of the 100+ Reading Challenge

4 comments:

  1. i cant wait to read this book i have been drooling over it like forever....great review

    The Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too! Stubborn characters can be annoying, but Barnes wrote Bryn very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the second excellent review that I read, it must be good.
    I am intrigued

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to say "ooh la la". You wanted to be one of them?! Okay now I really want to read this book. Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails