Thursday, August 5, 2010

Mini Reviews (4)

Mini Reviews is composed of, well, small reviews. These will likely be books I read forever ago or didn't enjoy a whole lot, but did finish. These reviews will be short and sweet.

Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus

This one really drew me in and kept me reading. I was fascinated by Phe's odd powers, and I really wish we heard more about those. The concept as a whole was interesting, and the plot progressed quickly. There was a large array of characters, and the mystery added a lot to the story. I had an idea of what was going on, but I liked the feeling of figuring things out with Phe. While this isn't one of my favorites, I look forward to the next book.


This book was positive in some places and lacking in others. My main complaint is that I feel as though this book is being marketed to the wrong audience. I believe this would make a great picture book for young children, but as a MG/YA book, it offers little. I can easily see small children enjoying this story along with great drawings, but for the audience I write to, it's much too repetitive and it shows rather than tells.

Forget-Het-Nots by Amy Brecount White

I wanted to like this book, I really did, but it just wasn't for me. The idea of a flower language was intriguing, and while it was fully fleshed out, it didn't hold my attention well enough. If there had been even more mystery or suspense, I believe I would have enjoyed this more. It was, however, much to young for what I thought would be a YA book. This book is better suited for MG readers. I think they will find the mystery aspect more suitable for them, as well as the overall level of character maturity.

Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly

Ah, the horrors of waiting a long time to review a book! All of the fault falls upon me and my procrastinating ways. This book was one that I enjoyed a lot at the time. I think I may reread it. The story was heartfelt, as were the characters. They were very real, simply themselves. The end was a shock to me, and I remember being a bit teary-eyed. All in all, it was a good read that I recommend.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed Shadow Hills and have Harmonic Feedback in my TBR. I'm glad you'd recommend it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails