Sunday, September 5, 2010

School: Why I Love, and Despise, You

Fall is creeping up on us and, unfortunately, for a large majority of the population, that means one thing: school. Whether you love it, dread it, or just like to see your friends, it's always there. And now, the reasons for my love-hate relationship, which I'm sure many of you will agree with.

Love:
1. Seeing my friends! That first day back, or, for me, the first football game (which happened before the first day,) is the best feeling, especially as a now upperclassman. I'm a junior! Seeing all of your old friends is great, and it's even better to say hi to people you don't talk to much. Everyone's just happy to see each other.

2. Being an upperclassman! It's about darn time. Now I get automatic rights for all of the good things in school life: front row at all of the games, ability to walk under the minuscule cover when it rains, parting of the hallways. I'm stoked.

3. Talking to new people! Whether it's transfers or incoming freshman, it's nice to make someone's day by simply acknowledging them. And it's great when someone I don't really know strikes up a conversation with me.

4. New classes! Yep, I said it. I have tons of fun going to all of my new classes, meeting teachers, and starting in on those Lit books!

5. School spirit! Dressing up for games, getting decked out in team colors, yelling 'til you're hoarse...that's the life of a teenager.

Dislike:
1. Summer homework! I take a couple AP classes which inevitably means summer homework. I'm 40 hours in and counting. Bring it on. Oh, and if my history teacher assigns one more mind-numbingly boring book, I don't know what I'm going to do.

2. The dreaded school picture! Now this can really be a plus or a minus, but planning is terrible, as is the anticipation to see how your picture turned out. Way too stressful.

3. No free time! Between sports, homework, and general school activities, when I am supposed to live? Or eat or shower for that matter? For me, it's wake up at 5:30 and go to bed by 10:00, if I'm lucky. Thank goodness for my friends who always get coffee - I couldn't survive without mooching off of them!

4. Homework! I've got 7 subjects, and that means a lot of homework. 3-4 hours average, 7 if it's bad. I will not miss those days.

5. Stress and the inevitable forgetful moments! Yes, for some reason, you always manage to forget the test in your hardest class or to do homework in that one class. It happens, and it sucks.

School, with its highs and lows, isn't everyone's favorite but I think we can all agree that it's one of the most memorable of exciting times of our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails